Friday, June 11, 2010

Infertility Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clomid

Okay, I’m over it now and ready to start round two of Clomid today! I have promised myself and Josh that I wouldn’t obsess over every little thing again this month, but I wonder how many women say that every month. I guess we’ll see. Luckily, Josh is a patient man (he is with me, anyway).

I am trying to take a more proactive approach this month though:

1) Caffeine is cut – no more coffee with cream and sugar all morning and no more 3 Dr. Peppers a day. Just stupid water all day except for twice a day when I drink two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, sweetened with honey. Honestly, there isn’t enough honey in the world, but I did learn that a woman’s “reproductive entryway” is naturally acidic and that acids can kill or impede sperm. Apple cider vinegar helps to balance that pH level.

2) I recently learned that saliva is a sperm repellant/killer. This realllllly sucked to learn (pun absolutely intended) but something we needed to know about during those most fertile of days.

3) I tried to find some herbal teas, etc that I could drink that are supposed to help with fertility, but surprisingly, it’s not good to drink them while taking fertility drugs. Some of them were controversial in their recommendations. Green tea, for instance, is used by some women taking Clomid because they say the antioxidants are good for healthier eggs but other women have said that drinking green tea with Clomid should be avoided because it has an adverse effect on the estrogen blockers that Clomid provides so that your ovaries get a nice big estrogen boost for ovulation. I decided not to mess with that. Although herbal teas are good for you, I’ve decided to stay away from anything that might possibly impede what Clomid needs to do.

4) One thing I was very sad to discover was that pineapple juice caused uterine contractions and should be avoided. Guess what I drank a big jug of last month? To be safe, I am drinking only water, 1 cup of decaff coffee in the morning, and that rancid glass of water and apple cider vinegar. Josh took a sip of it the other day so he would know what I’m going through. I love him.

5) I also read that a healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) was between 19 % - 25%. My BMI is almost 28% (round-a-bout 27.8). After doing some calculating, that means I need to lose about 20 pounds. Changing my diet will help with that some, but I need to at least start walking. I plan on digging around and finding my tennies tonight!

6) Oh and speaking of honey (from #1), an ancient Chinese recipe of 2 tblsp honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon is supposed to increase fertility. Warning – do not attempt to eat the honey and cinnamon concoction if the cinnamon is not completely mixed in with the honey. Cinnamon powder in your mouth and up your nose is AWFUL.

These are some of the bigger changes I’m making. I’m on day two of my caffeine withdrawal headache. The cup of decaf seemed to help a little. I know there’s a very small amount of caffeine in decaf – plus I think the ritual of making a cup of coffee and sipping it at my desk seemed to calm the edge a little.

So starting today, positive thoughts again – proactive choices to improve fertility chances – a new day. This verse really jumped at me today.
"Whatever is true...think about such things...And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9 (NIV)

Positive thinking, positive prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment